Please read carefully the following information prepared for the prospective student interested in a minor in dance. The additional pages describe the Department of Dance, the dance minor, and the audition process. Typically a student declares the minor in the freshman or sophomore year and takes required coursework during the sophomore, junior, and senior years.
The following points are emphasized:
- Acceptance into the dance minor is by audition. The audition class is 60-90 minutes and consists of a ballet barre, contemporary sequences, and jazz combination. During the audition, the faculty will also consider the student's placement in an appropriate level of technique for the following semester.
- The Department of Dance offers a minor which balances coursework in dance theory and technique classes. Coursework must be spread between Category I (theory) and Category II (technique).
- The minor in dance consists of eighteen hours of DANC coursework, nine hours of which must be in 3000-5000 coursework.
- Pre-requisites must be met prior to enrollment in some courses.
- Many DANC courses are not offered every semester. A large majority of DANC course offerings in the Department of Dance are on an alternating year schedule. This must be considered for a student declaring a minor in his/her Junior year.
- Courses offered in the Department of Dance include a wide variety of dance styles and topics. Technique/studio courses include ballet, contemporary, jazz, and ethnic dance. Theory based courses emphasize studies in dance composition, history, improvisation, technology, production, dance science, and alternative movement theories. Participation in the various dance companies is by audition. Opportunities are available to perform, choreograph, or assist with productions.
- The minor advisor is Elizabeth Osborn-Kibbe. All minors must schedule an appointment with Ms. Osborn-Kibbe to receive POD clearance for DANC classes and for assistance in completing the minor. Upon successful completion of the audition, you may contact Ms. Osborn-Kibbe at 542-9830 or email@example.com regarding appointments.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.audition form (pdf) at least one week prior to the selected audition. Results of your placement level will be e-mailed the following day. After enrolling in a DANC ballet or contemporary technique class, one may declare a minor. For further information call (706) 542-4415.
All auditions are conducted by Department of Dance faculty.